Rowdy and I bought some giant brandy glasses from the DI. He had the brilliant idea to fill them up and see how long it would take us to drink them (this is not a blog about that adventure, for more info please see Rowdy's blog). Through some unfortunate events and some very ungrateful neighbors I moved out of my house in Logan and back to Salt Lake. It came pretty sudden and the best way for me to handle it was to move as soon as possible, like a band-aid. Well we started our Gallon Juice Challenge while I was in Logan packing. Since I was busy doing things I was not able to finish my one gallon as fast as Rowdy. I decided to pack it and finish it in Salt Lake, but while packing I discovered the reason why most people that go to school at Utah State hate to leave Logan. The reason we all love Logan is because it is just like Neverland. We all know that there is a real world out there. When you are in the beautiful wonderland that is Cache Valley time stops and all the cares of life mean nothing.The only thing that matters is what you are doing right now. There are the occasional glimpses of 'the world' due to homework and working for the elusive dollar, but for the most part it is just a land full of fun...fun to be had by all who wish it.
As I realized this I shed a tear. Knowing that the opportunities of seeing how long it would take me to drink a whole gallon of white grape peach juice were limited I owned up to the facts, as sad as they may be. As now my eyes have seen the reality that is life and that we all must at some point grow up, take our place in society and contribute to it I became a man and accepted my fate. I will miss the times we had in Logan. I will look back on them in times of sadness, when the world of work has me thinking that there is no fun to be had, and laugh in it's face and say "Yes, there is, and I have tasted of it's goodness."
Jen Comes to Utah.
-
Temple square
Late night at the Pie Hole
Cafe Rio
The Bluebird in Logan
Dinner with the Orton clan in the Highland
Sundance
Tour of BYU campus
Driving out to...
9 years ago
2 comments:
one thing would have made this post a little better... a picture of peter pan with your face.
Oh man....I know your pain. I first felt it the first summer after graduating and I had to work and my friends didn't. I also felt it after my college days out of the real world- in paradise....the meals at the cafeteria joking around, getting in trouble with the University President for playing football at midnight in the tennis court, the nights singing all kinds of songs in the warm breeze outside of Hale 4 and most of all the time spent with amazing people from far off places around the globe and knowing you'll never see them again.
The world can be hard, disappointing, and stressful. My advice is to move on and not forget the times and feelings....but to fill your life's voids with those things and events that add to the joy of being.
Post a Comment