Saturday, October 18, 2008

Acting school


I just went to my very first soccer game at the new Real Salt Lake stadium. It is a really nice place and I look forward to going to another one. I have never watched soccer or really played it, to much running for me. I had an idea of some of the rules but I was clearly wrong. For example, I thought, since it is illegal to hold someones arms in American football it would also be the same in soccer. Turns out you can if the ref is not watching the same game. What I decided is that most things are not fouls but it all depends on how good of an actor you are. If you act like you are hurt really bad then the referee will pull his cards out and penalize the other team. All you have to do, from what I gathered, was roll around on the ground and wait for the trainer to come and pat you and the back and say "Get up, they already gave them a yellow card. You don't have to fake it any more." I am sure that some of the hits and kicks really do hurt. I do not want to take one of those to the thigh. But if you are acting like your leg is broken and rolling on the ground I have no sympathy for you if you can still run around on it for the next 59 minutes. What I am trying to say is that if you are hurt then stay hurt. If you are not, stop being such a sally and be a man and play like one.

(This coming from the one that can't run for longer then 15 minutes, so take it as you may. As I watch more and learn more of the rules I am sure my thoughts will change. Until then this is what I think.)

No comments: